Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Miracle Flag

For the 4th of July I got each of the kids little flags to wave. This year Kelsi did really well recognizing the flag. She didn't do as well with the name, however, calling it the 'miracle flag' instead of the 'American flag.' The day we bought the little flags she was waving it as she marched all through Fred Meyer, especially as we passed people. She'd look up, catch people's eye, give the flag a wave and announce, "This is my Miracle Flag!" Most people just smiled and nodded at her, but one older gentleman stopped, smiled, looked her right in the eye and said, "That is a miracle flag and aren't we so lucky to have it?"

His statement caught me off guard and as I reflected about our country and the miracles that brought us together and have sustained us through the years as a country and as a people I have secretly been thinking of the American flag as a miracle. The miracle of a promise from our Heavenly Father and the miracle that this country still exists and prospers.

I am so thankful for our country and every day that I am blessed to live in it with my family enjoying safety, freedom, and peace.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Kelsi nailed it - the Miracle Flag. I'm glad that gentleman took the time to talk to her too.

Mandy Madill said...

Well said Kelly. I too am so grateful to live in such a wonderful place. It is such a blessing and a modern day miracle.