Sunday, June 15, 2008

A few things about Father's Day


First and foremost I would like to tell my dad how much I love him. He has always been a true friend to me. I'd like to thank him for all of the times he would joke with us-I still get your humor dad! For all of the countless hours he spent teaching me proper shooting form and rebounding the basketball. I have many memories of just he and I standing on a empty, open court while I shot basket after basket and he coached me to be confident in being the best I could be. For all of the walks up and down our road, for bike and motorcycle rides as a kid, and for always being there for me with a hug or a word of wisdom. You'll never know how much I learned standing in our kitchen listening to my dad talk about random things he'd seen on the Discovery channel (usually about health and/or fitness). I miss those talks. I hope I can enlighten my kids as much as my dad continually enlightened me.


And for now, being a fantastic grandpa. He is the one all of the kids run to, the one who's lap the kids are fighting over, and the one who revs up the tractor for rides through the fields. My kids love their grandpa to distraction and want to visit papa-papa and mama-mama constantly. They were there last weekend and until about Wednesday, Kelsi kept asking to go 'home' to papa-papa and mama-mama's house. We know where their hearts are.


Now for my husband on Father's day. I knew finding a husband who would be as good a dad as my dad had been would be a shot in a million. Well, I have been blessed with that one in a million in Bryce (I guess I should say, our kids have been blessed too!). He is such a loving and fun dad, he is patient and understanding to our kids. Many days more than I am I think! He keeps the kids on their toes with games, jokes, and surprises. He teaches, coaches, and blesses them continually every day. All of this is even more amazing to me because he didn't grow up with a dad, so I know that he is 'winging' it and that this is truly the man he is. If our kids don't realize it yet, I know it won't be long before they will know how competely blessed they are to have such an amazing man as their father. I already know it and I will spend their lives making sure they know it too! I love you.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you have some terrific men in your life! I'm sure your little guy will grow up to be like his dad!