What is it with kids and hygiene? It is pulling teeth to get my kids into the bathtub....and once there, it is all I can do to get them out before they have splashed all the water out and onto the floor, they are having so much fun.
Again, the same struggle starts with the toothbrush. They absolutely refuse to let me brush their teeth in a quiet and orderly manner. Instead they insist on dragging out their ordeal by fussing, moving, running, laughing, talking, and crying when all they have to do is sit still for 1 minute and let me brush to my heart's content. However, each tooth debacle goes on and on for minutes on end until mom threatens some sort of bodily punishment. All the while I am trying to scare them into compliance with stories of teeth 'bugs' and cavity 'monsters.' Nothing has really worked (except bodily harm threats, those work okay).
Until today. Thank you Sid the Science Kid and thank you ME! for being smart enough to let public television raise/educate my children. Today Sid (very graphically) explained what happens when food gets left on your teeth. I listened to the tv blaring along and turned around to watch, only to see my kids glued to the screen as it showed two teeth with nasty, yucky, green, slimy-bug-infested-looking guck plastered all over my 42 inch screen. Even I had to cringe.
I, being such a great mother and teacher, took this moment to instill, um...SCARE them by reminding them of the BUGS that get on their teeth and why I make them brush everyday. Then I came at them with their toothbrushes and lo and behold! Magic. They let me brush their teeth with no tantrums involved.
Sid the Science Kid, I love you.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Why I Love Sid the Science Kid
Posted by Kelly at 8:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love those kind of serendipitous mothering moments. And I totally support the scare tactics - I use those all the time.
Fabulous! Do you think my kids are too old for these scare tactics? They still think that they only need to brush their teeth if they are going somewhere. All this cancelled school has equaled brushing wars. "But we're not going anywhere though!" "If you don't brush, your teeth are gonna go somewhere when they rot out of your head!" Why? Why? Why?
That is such a good one. I remember telling the kids that Germs Poop in their mouth when they sleep but I could have used that program for sure. K
Our hand washing has been much improved since Sid talked about cold germs. I love that show! I'm glad he has scared your kids into brushing better. Gotta love finding tv shows that will teach our kids for us.
Love it! Is that available on utube? - I'll have to check.
Post a Comment