Saturday, January 3, 2009

What a New Year

Usually I love seeing an old year leave and welcome in the new. However, this year really hasn't felt quite the same. Maybe it's because mom and dad are in Idaho visiting Kendra and without them, New Year's just isn't quite the same. Even last year when I laid on the couch from 9pm until 12am with food poisoning, I still had a great evening. Mom and dad came up to our house bringing food (not that I could eat any, but it still makes for a good celebration-y feeling) and a movie. The four of us just sat around together. It was great.

This year, however, my December 31st started with a sick toddler. 8am until 3pm Kelsi threw up every :20 minutes and that is no exaggeration. That evening she cooled it down a little bit and the family even watched Shrek 2, but after such a long day, it wasn't very realistic to think I was going to last to see the ball drop. I didn't, by 10:30 I was out! Not quite the New Year's Eve celebration I was looking forward to. Oh well.

The next day Linda came by to help us ring in the New Year. Luckily Kelsi seemed to be on the mend and our day went by with out much action. But....how come kids always get sicker at night?! By 11:30pm, Kelsi was at it again and Bryce and I spent the night holding her over the throw-up pail every :20-:30 minutes to do her thing. Poor baby, poor daddy (who had to work on Friday) and poor mommy (who hasn't had much sleep since 2006).

Friday she was still sick and Saint Grandma Linda came by to take Brody for awhile. But, she definitely seemed to be pulling out of it and by the evening was even bossing people around and pouting, so I knew she was back to normal! :)

Today is my birthday and I am happy to say that no kids are sick...but I think mom is. We'll see how that turns out, the stomach is too touchy for me to have attempted more than ginger ale this morning. Hopefully I'll get over it quickly so I can go out with Bryce tonight.

So, overall, 2009 hasn't started the way I anticipated, yet I am so lucky to have such a loving support system of family all around me. We are happy, healthy, and together and really there is nothing else I would ask for. I hope your 2009 will be a good one.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Happy New Year! Happy birthday! We celebrated by watching Shrek 2 as well. So in a way, we kinda partied together?! Hope the rest of your birthday went great!!!

Natalie said...

Yikes, Kel! I hope you feel better and had a good birthday!

J. Baxter said...

Hope you didn't get too sick. And I think everyone misses your mom's New Year's Eve party. Why don't they build a house or something???

Brandon and Becca said...

Happy Birthday! I hope today is going better and that you are all feeling better.

Amy said...

Just had to say hi to you because you made me feel like the most special girl in the world today--you know, over on Jen's blog?
Somehow I feel less fat than I normally do, and it's all thanks to you!

annie valentine said...

Okay, I totally remembered your birthday! I just forgot to tell you that I remembered. But I did say all sorts of nice things about you to Jason, in loving memory.

J. Baxter said...

Kel, are you un-privatized??? I hope so, it's so much more fun! If I'd known, I'd have linked you in my post the other day!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Christmas and New Year (well for the most part :) and, as your friend, I'm thankful that you had a cm detector. I hope you are on the mend and your are warm and toasty and doing all the fun things you love to do. Happy belated birthday!

Kristin said...

"“If the first thing you do every morning is to eat a live frog, nothing worse will happen to you all day.” mark twain. maybe that also applies to the new year, sounds like you've eaten a frog so it gets better right?