Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weighing in on Valentine's Day

One week and counting until Valentine's Day. So what I'd like to know, is what do you do with your loved one on V-Day? I think of this every year when I hear women voicing their opinions on V-Day and whether it's a day just for lovers or for all loved ones?

Interestingly enough, I have found that people can have pretty strong opinions about the day itself. Usually I tell Bryce to just get me a card and write something sweet in it. I am not a big fan of flowers on V-Day (too cliche), but I also wouldn't mind if he thought of something to get me that he knew I would love. Case in point...a few years ago he bought me the book Jurassic Park. I think some people would be furious if their husbands showed up with this un-romantic gesture. However, it just showed how well he knew me-I was thrilled! So I suppose it's not how your man thrills you, just that he does.

Now that's romantic.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

So first of all, that's too bad that Brody's teacher doesn't want them to put names on the cards. Our kids still do it old school, and hopefully it stays that way because they love it. I guess if Brody doesn't know any different, it won't matter to him either way.

As for Valentine's Day with Kevin and myself, neither of us do the traditional card, dozen red roses, etc. He knows me better and I, him as well. I like it when he comes home on random days with a bag of Reisen candy for me, or a bouqet of flowers for no reason, etc. He's pretty good about things like that and I like that he doesn't feel obligated to buy me a token gift on Valentine's. He did have a pajamagram sent to me one year and it was cool, but so is a cute little Valentine with a sucker on it. :)

Kelly said...

Totally true Steph. I love the surprise flowers at random times also.

Ali said...

Kyle won't celebrate Valentine's Day. He REFUSES.
This year I've trapped him with other couples so the pressure is on. It will be our first in 10 years. Three of us ladies are making a yummy dinner full of the men's favorites. We are then exchanging gifts (within in a certain price range) with each other. We're ending the dinner early enough to go off on our own later. I'm giving Kyle (it's not in the price range) a couples massage and hot tub experience. He's always jealous when I get a massage for my bad back.
So we usually do nothing, I try to make a festive meal for the kids and make it special for them...which will still probably happen on Sunday since Kyle and I are doing Sat.

Natalie said...

I can't make up my mind. The sensible cheap side of me wants to fall back on my old standby "flowers are cliche" "it's better when it's spontaneous" thing. That's so true. I'm really wanting something special this year though. I think I MIGHT just be becoming a sensitive, romantic, girly girl after all these years.

Becky said...

Yeah, I just want to sleep in until 9 and that's all.