I am new to this whole 'school holiday' thing, just having a Kindergartener this year. So, I was pretty bummed when I realized they wouldn't get to dress up on Halloween and have a big bash. I wasn't too surprised when there was no traditional Christmas party preceeding what is now called "Winter Break." (LAME!) But seriously, how can the schools screw up Valentine's Day? Here's how:
I got a letter home from Brody's teacher instructing parents on how to prep cards for the day. Here is the quote: "The kids may bring Valentine's for each other. Please do not have your child write who the Valentine is to. We will just stuff their holders and not worry about looking for each child's name."
WHAT?! Okay, some of my favorite things about Valentine's day were picking out the 'right' Valentine for each classmate (the one I knew they would like best or had the saying I wanted them to get from me). Second, I liked to stand in front of the big bulletin board at school with all of the class-made Valentine's Day pockets shaped like hearts and put my Valentine in each classmate's holder. Third, I loved to open up MY Valentine's from others and see what they wrote to me.
I would have been so disappointed if the teacher put the Valentine's in and when I received my Valentine, it just said, "from Johnny." Johnny didn't pick that card for me, he has no idea what I received and apparently he doesn't care. Because that is just what is wrong with things these days. Everything is just going through the motions and impersonal. I am so sick to death of it. I felt like what is the point?
As I helped Brody put together his Valentine's Day cards today, I was frustrated. I want things to mean something to my child. I don't want him to grow up in a world where he opens a Valentine only to get the candy that is attached to it, never thinking about the friend or classmate who attached that candy for him. But he can't...WHY? Because it is apparently too much trouble for a teacher or one of her many parent helpers to look at a name on a card and put it in the correct holder. No wonder our kids are growing up with such an entitlement mentality.
Now maybe this isn't how it is done in other grades...I sincerely hope so. Maybe the teacher just thinks that not enough of the Kindergarteners would be able to write/read each other's names.
On another note, hav any of you tried those soft leather shoes for infants? I got some today for Colton and those things ROCK!
Thursday, February 4, 2010
The New Valentine's Day
Posted by Kelly at 3:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Well said! No, it doesn't change as they get older.
I LOVED the picking out of valentines as well and the sitting around the table w/ my sisters picking out the hearts with the right sayings on them to put in the envelope (which they don't have anymore). We teased each on what boy the other one would send the "be mine" or "love you" hearts to. So sad, it's all gone.
The other day I was in there & they were sorting hearts, if they had any that said "love" they counted how many. They don't even say that stuff anymore. It's all, "text me", or "cool stuff". Blah!
Oooh, I forgot about the envelopes! I loved that. I even asked Bryce if he remembers and liked that stuff about Valentine's day and he agreed. Schools now days are so lame.
I'm glad you've warned me how lame things are now. To think my kids will never have the joy of their own Valentine's. It took me hours when I was little to decide who got which one and make sure that no gross boys got messages that made it seem like I "liked" them.
Yeah and no Valentines tea party? We had to wear our best church clothes to school and after lunch we all went in the library where we learned etiquette. The boys pulled the little chairs out for the girls and then we had heart sugar cookies and red punch. Sorry to say this to WA people, but in Cache Valley Utah (Zion to me) :) they still do that.
Schools here are to worried about feelings. Have a Halloween party and dress up! Call it what it is "Christmas". And have a Valentines day with Valentines for crying out loud! dork school system.
Okay, I have to comment on Becky's remarks....love the etiquette thing and they should stop worrying about everyone else. My neighbors who don't celebrate that kind of stuff keeps their kids home on all holidays anyways to make sure they're not corrupted. So let's party since they're not there anyways! :)
Totally agree with you girls. And I love the tea party thing! That is awesome. Sometimes I really just want to kick the ACLU in the shins (because in my mind, they're the ones who started all of this kind of crazy stuff where majority does NOT rule anymore).
I just read your post, Kel...I've gotta tell you, Idaho is keeping up with the old times pretty well! Halloween, Christmas parties, and Valentine's have all been what I remember, even if the actual cards' and candy heart messages aren't what they used to be! I just buy a box of envelopes and the girls stuff their valentines in those. As much as I love WA, that stinks!
Post a Comment