Sunday, February 21, 2010

Out of the mouth of babes

This weekend Bryce was out of town so on Friday the kids and I went down to Elma to stay the night at my parent's house. My brother's kids were also there while their parents were on a little vacation. It's quite the party when all the kids get together.

Brody 6
Canon almost 6
Cason 4
Kelsi almost 4
Miley 3

So you can see, the boys pal around together and the little girls pal around together and for the most part all is well.

On the most beautiful Saturday afternoon, grandpa took all the kids on a tractor/trailer ride in the field. I wasn't there but heard all later. I guess Brody and Canon thought it would be great to jump off of the trailer, let it get a ways in front of them and then RACE. Aunt Whitney was officiating. She said the first race Canon won. Then every race after that was a flat out tie.

Well, this was pretty disturbing to those two competitive buggars. They wanted WINNERS, not to tie. After several ties, Canon finally said "I won that one" (although Aunt Whit had just declared it a tie). Not to be outdone, Brody piped up and said, "No, I won" and back and forth it went until Brody pushed Canon over. Oh boy. That was really crossing the line. Grandpa had to take over at that point and had both boys apologizing.

Then grandpa pointed out that the more time they spent arguing the less time they had for playing. This seemed to hit a chord with them and the last thing Grandpa heard as they walked away in the field was...

Brody, "I think the racing was dumb anyway."

Canon, "Me too."

Brody, "Well, at least we agree on something."

Too true.

3 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

That is a great conversation to have written down. So funny.

Ali said...

What a fun thing for the kiddos - a tractor ride. Boys will be boys but I'm glad they made up, and in such a cute way.

Kristin said...

That is so cute. Having 2 of my own that age any kind of agreement is a happy time.