Thursday, October 14, 2010

Really?!

I am so glad that I am a college grad. I am so thankful for all of the cool things I learned in college and I wouldn't change that knowledge for anything. Today, however, I was especially glad for one particular skill I achieved while at BYU: the ability to always find a parking space in a packed lot. It sounds odd, but for those of you who have ever had to circle and circle a lot while looking for a space, sit tight, I am about to reveal the ONLY sure-fire way (that doesn't include luck!) to find a space.

First of all, stop the circling! Worst rookie mistake. You need to park yourself near the door of the building out of which the owners of the cars in the lot will be exiting. Then you follow (or ask if they are leaving and then follow) them to their car, turn on your blinker and woila! Parking spot.

Second, if it is a huge lot with many rows and owners of cars will not be specifically coming from any direction, you need to stay in the main aisle that connects to all the other aisles. This is the one time you can slowly drive up and down this main aisle. Although the best is to pick on end and park it while you scan the lot for any people walking toward a car. Then drive down the main aisle. Now this is crucial! Do not pull down any of the connecting aisles until you are sure they are getting in a car. Many people cut across aisles walking to their cars and if you drive down one (and they aren't parked on it), you may miss getting their spot on another aisle because someone else will.

See how much you are learning? Unless of course you went to a big, parking-challenged University and have already learned these tricks for yourself. Today I had to find a spot in St.Peter's parking lot. Sheer torture that lot is. But putting my skills to use I circled once, then drove right over to the main doors, seconds later a guy walked out, I asked him if he was leaving, he said yes so I followed him and parking spot claimed. I love it.

On a secondary note...has anyone noticed how Hollywood is so hot-to-trot on the 'No gun' laws? Boy do they openly yack about gun control and how guns kill people and blah, blah, blah. Well today I saw a preview for a movie about assassins. Not scary, creepy assassins. But fun, exciting, "we kill people for a living" (an actual quote from the trailer) assassins. This is at least the 3rd movie that glorifies and glamorizes assassins that I've seen previews for in the past year. Hollywood, you are so stupid. Just food for thought.

4 comments:

Denys said...

Yes, I did pick up some good parking tips! You are funny!

Ali said...

I'm am so ready to go to St. Pete's now. Thanks. I was just thinking "I never go anywhere with that problem" when you mentioned the hospital and it clicked, "ahh, a month ago I had that problem there." ;)

I've never been a lover of guns but with all the negative hype they get I'm wanting one now days....maybe a pink one with a laser?

Kelly said...

:) Love the idea of a pink laser! I don't particularly love guns either, but firmly believe when guns are illegal only criminals will have them.

My MIL's friend actually has a taser. Now that's an idea.

Sharisse said...

Hey Kelly! It has been way too long! You look so good! You look the same as you did in college! Your family is beautiful! It is so good to see that you are doing so well and that you are a mom of three! That's so awesome! I'd love to here about how you met your husband and everything that has happened between now and when we were roommates! Where are you living now? Are you on facebook?