Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas at our house

When I was a kid we had 3 different grandparents Christmas' to go to. This made finding time for our own family's Christmas pretty tricky. We tried Christmas morning, that didn't work well. We tried Christmas Eve night after coming home from Gramma and Grampa Valentine's house. Our family liked this and we opened them Christmas Eve night for many years-until I was a young teenager. Then we wanted to stay at Gramma and Grampa's longer to visit and play games and stuff so we never got home in time to open presents. At this time our family started opening presents on the night of the 23rd. And that's how it stayed until we all got married.

So all of our married life Bryce and I have opened presents on Christmas morning. I, personally though, like to open presents at night when the Christmas lights are so gorgeous and the fireplace is warm and cozy. But I never suggested it to Bryce because I always figured it wasn't traditional. However, last week driving in the car he happened to mention that his family always opened them on Christmas Eve and he thought opening them at night was by far better than the morning. Well! That was all we needed to then and there change our family's tradition to Christmas Eve present opening. This year was our first. Luckily with the change in opening presents earlier at my mom's we were home in plenty of time to open our own presents. So we did.

I didn't take very many pictures this year and this was the only picture I got of Brody all night long. He's checking out his pile of goods.

Kelsi and Colton with their respective piles. So fun, the night was just beginning!



Afterwards the kids took an hour or so to play with their toys before bed. Here is Kelsi with her own barbie head-hair fixer thing and her new coat.


The only thing Colton was absolutely crazy over this year was Lightening McQueen. He absolutely loves Mac. The big truck and every time we drive by a semi on the road he goes nuts yelling, "Mac, Mac" and pointing like a madman. So you can only imagine his excitement when he opened this. Well, don't imagine, check out that crazy "cheese" smile. His trademark.

Bryce scored the traditional ties. (He really asked for them though), but I was able to surprise him, really truly surprise him for the first time ever with these babies....

...a set of golf clubs!! He had no clue and I was super sneaky at not even hinting about them. Down with his 16 year old clubs that he's been limping along with and in with these awesome Taylor-Made Burner Plus Irons! No more will my man be made fun of on the golf course with all of these fancy-shmancy golf tournaments and business deals he has to go to. He's styling now :)


After all of the fun on this long, Christmas-y day I laid Colton down to sleep and he was cuddling up with his new doggie from Gramma and Grampa Seaberg. I took his picture because he looked so sweet. Then I told him, "Now go to sleep" and I got this...

SO CUTE!!! Aaaawwww, my littlest man. Can't you stay a baby forever?

2 comments:

Ali said...

You guys really have to make things work with all the family parties. And we have to plan hard to make anything happen. :)
Way to go with surprising Bryce! It's so hard to do now days, I actually think I got my first surprise/smile out of Kyle last night on his birthday!
So nice clubs there Bryce but I especially like the fireplace in a box on the screen behind you....brings back memories, I have one of those on vhs, my Dad thinks they're just awesome and bought them for everyone years ago.

Kelly said...

Seems to me you do a pretty awesome job of keeping things hopping at your place :O)

What did you get for Kyle?

I bought that Disney Magical fireplace last year after Christmas, but I am not so sure how great it is. It plays Christmas music and has little Disney characters appear in the flames randomly if you watch long enough, but who sits there and just watches the fire? we are too busy opening presents, so it wasn't quite what I had planned. Funny your dad is into it. It'll still be a memorable tradition we can always have.