Friday, June 5, 2009

The fly count

Funny how all it takes is a little monetary incentive to get your kids rolling. So far Brody has earned $2 for killing flies in the house. We went to the dollar store so he could immediately spend his wad on two trucks.

Well, Kelsi was certainly impressed with that and set right out to kill her own fly and earn her own dollar. She excitedly came downstairs a few days ago, exclaming she had killed a fly and wanted a dollar. This is what she brought me:


You see that little black speck? That is the teeniest, tiniest fruit fly. Now I don't know if she actually killed it on the window or dug it out of her window track or off of the sill, but I couldn't deny her a dollar, she was so thrilled that she got one!


She went to the dollar store and bought a doctor's set endorsed by Barbie. She has been 'checking' us for days and now calls herself Dr. Barbie. Brody came home yesterday with some dollar store pirate set complete with rustic axe and dagger. Yesterday I came into the living room to find Bryce lying on the floor while Dr. Barbie and murdering pirate operated on him. Tape from Kelsi's tool box was on his head and arms, Kelsi had a thermometer in his mouth and a stethescope on his arm while Brody chopped his leg off.


It has been quite entertaining around here since my kids have become savvy in economics.

9 comments:

Kendra said...

I love it, did you not get a picture of the "patient" Bryce, both meanings accepted? What a funny story!

Kelly said...

I didn't, but I should have.

Stephanie said...

That's funny. If you are trying to catch fruit flies, I know a method that works. If you put cider vinegar in a bowl and drop a couple drops of soap in it and add water to make it bubbly, then the flies go right to it and get stuck in the bubbles. It works. I did it after a friend of mine tried it. We had a time when fruit flies were rampant in our kitchen and it got rid of all of them. You could have your kids make the mixture and however many they catch in it, you could pay them. :) Then you'll for sure go broke.

Ali said...

So cute! I want to see the patient all taped up!

Whitney Seaberg said...

That's awesome Kelsi is all about killing flies now too! Very Savvy! Just like their Aunt Whitney :)

Kristin said...

Hilarious stories. How smart is she with the fruit fly! Way to count it, I would've cheaped out.

Denys said...

Hey Kelly - I saw your comment on Jenny's blog, and jumped on over to see how you are. This is Denys Brumbaugh from Elma. Hope you don't mind I read some of your posts. What a cute family! I thought it was cool that we are only 2 weeks apart, pregnancy wise. I am exactly 2 weeks ahead of you and we are having a boy too! And...my oldest son's name is Bryce, who just turned 5 and my other boy Sammy, turned 3 in March. It looks like we have similar aged kids as well as new baby.
We've been killing a lot of flies around here too! My 3 year old also showed me a speck (on his finger!) that he claimed was a fly. I think it was just a speck though. Take care!

J. Baxter said...

Umm, I was thinking about getting our kids together, but now I'm wondering if it's safe???? Then again, it sounds like Dr. Barbie has things under control.

I'm with Kendra by the way - the murdering pirate/doctor Barbie bit certainly should have been recorded for posterity!

Kelly said...

Denys, if by chance you see this, get me your email address and I'll check out your blog too. That's great about your cute little boys and coming new boy!