Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Christmas Story...better late than never

The other day I was reading on a friend's blog about her girls and their suspicions this year about whether or not Santa was real. At our house all of the kids still staunchly believe in Santa, but we had a pretty close call this year. This is how it all went down....

One night I had stayed up late to wrap presents. That night I was also wrapping Santa gifts and went to the trouble of even using different wrapping paper than what was under the tree along with disguising my handwriting. I very carefully packed away the Santa gifts in a bag in the pantry where I knew the kids wouldn't find it, then went to bed.

The next morning at breakfast Brody was looking in his special draw in the kitchen for his Christmas list, but just could not find it. He was getting pretty discouraged and I thought maybe it had accidentally been thrown away-oops. But rather than tell him that the list he had been slaving over for weeks was trash I told him I thought his letter was at the North Pole.

"How'd it get there? We didin't send it yet." he questioned.

"Well," I said, "Maybe it just appeared there, you know, Christmas magic." This time of year I like to blame a lot of stuff on Christmas magic.

"Did Santa come and get it?"

"Oh, I don't know how it gets there sweetie, just magic I guess."

After a few more minutes I had him convinced his list was safely in Santa's grasp so no more worries. He then left the kitchen to get something upstairs when I hear him exclaim, "He WAS here! He took my list and left me a present!" At which point he comes racing back into the kitchen holding one of the Santa presents I had wrapped the night before and laid aside and forgotten to hide in the pantry! Oh my gosh. That could have been bad.

"Wow, that Santa is one tricky fellow," I tell him, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief. And to make it seem more plausible, throw in, "I didn't even hear him come in last night."

Whew, that was a close call because finding a present from Santa weeks before the big man is actually supposed to make his appearance is a recipe for disaster. How does a mom explain that?!

Thank goodness for that missing Christmas list.

7 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

I wondered what had happened when he announced in class that Santa had already been to his house. That will be a fun story for him when he gets older.

Ali said...

Lol. Did he have to save the present? That would have been torture for my kid.
I wrap in different paper as well. Great minds think a like.

Kelly said...

Yeah, I wondered what people would think when he started announcing Santa had already been to his house :)

He did have to save the present and when Santa came again on Christmas Eve night he put a special bow on it for Brody so Brody would know he had been back, plus all of the stocking stuff.

You know, anything to keep the dream alive!

Denys said...

LOL! That was really close. So glad it turned out well :)

Becky said...

Wheww! Seriously that was a close call! Way to make it fun for him though. Yeah, that's going to be the Christmas story for years and years to come.

Natalie said...

Too funny! Talk about a close call! good ol' Christmas magic!

Kristin said...

Hilarious story, nice work!