Our washer is about 5 years old. We bought it used (along with the dryer) from a co-worker of Bryce's after it was only a few months old. What a steal! $250 for the pair. Couldn't beat it. However, the idea that someone else had used the washer before me was a little concerning, because I am weird like that. I really like CLEAN things and I just didn't know how well this washer had been taken care of. I know, I know you are wondering how a washer gets dirty. Well, that story is coming. However, did I mention the awesome deal we got?! And just as we were buying our very first house so saving money was top on our list at that point.
After about a year or so of having the washer I would notice (only every so often) a faint stinky-ish water smell coming from it. I'd leave the top open or run it empty with really hot water and vinegar or try to scrub it out the best I could. This would usually help, but only temporarily. After we moved into this house I swear the smell was there permanently and it is really embarrassing to have a stinky laundry room-especially when there seemed to be nothing I could do about it.
My best friend, Google, led me to this website http://www.theworldofwashers.com/2008/07/my-washer-stinks.html . Apparently the inner wash tube (the part you can't get to) gets a build up mold and mildew mainly due to using liquid laundry detergent. Who knew? Then if you happened to be using liquid fabric softener also, hold onto your noses! I did what the website suggested, even bought the Norwex cleaning product and lo and behold-GUESS WHAT? After years of having a stinky washer I am proud to say we are stench-free! So easy to fix and now-does anyone know how to take apart a dryer to completely clean the lint area?
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
The tale of a stinky washer
Posted by Kelly at 4:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Very interesting. I've never had a stinky washer but good to know if I ever get one. I wonder if some types or brands are more prone to it. If only I knew how to help with the lint. Because I'm weird too I never leave the house with my dryer going. I'm afraid of a fire or something even though I have a new house so at least I know I'm kind of safe.
Holy cow, I can't believe you've already posted so many times since Christmas! Heck, I'm still working off of Thanksgiving! I love seeing all the pictures you took, what a great time we all had! Jillie's sitting here with me and keeps pointing out your kids and saying their names, I love it that she's getting to know her Washington cousins better! Already miss you guys! Love Ken
OK that is a great tip. What about the dishwasher? I had my Dad take apart my dryer actually and I should have paid more attention, so I would recommend your Dad take apart your washer :) He's a scientist, right?
Good to know! BTW, I LOVE that you are such a clean person. One of those funny quirks that makes a person who they are, you know? Which leads me to ask... have you found a home for you 0-3 girl stuff yet? If not, I might be interested. Seeing as how it's from someone with great taste that obviously kept things clean... ;-)
Post a Comment