Well, the cousins boarded the plane this morning and now I have my two little kiddos all to myself. Today the weather was cloudy and I got that cozy 'fall' feeling. I was so looking forward to taking my kids, going to Costco, running errands, and hanging out together, like we used to. What I wasn't anticipating was the 'cousin hangover.' What is this you ask? Unless you have experienced this with your children also, I think the 'grandma hangover' also falls into this category and since all the cousinish stuff took place at Grandma's house I think we can call our situation a double hangover.
The cousin hangover is the coming down off of sugar, cousin comapnionship, days packed with fun suited for kids, eating out, snow cones at 10am, ice cream at 10pm, sleeping on the floor while watching tv, being able to be a little bit sassy and getting away with it, and for Brody, the thrill of hanging out with 'big kids.' This last is probably what has been the biggest change.
All of the sudden my 4 yr old has been introduced to things only big kids can introduce. Like video game websites on the computer, privacy while dressing, and the general 'I know more than you do mom' tone and implications. Hmm, very annoying.
So this morning we went to the mall to hang out in the playarea to await the opening of the stores. Brody loves this play area and I've never heard him complain before (in fact, was excited when I suggested going there), but after about :10 all I heard was, 'this is boring. It's for babies.' Yes, in truth 2 other kids showed up while we were there and they were both babies.
So off we go down the mall only to come across the coin operated ride on toys. Well, mom only has 2 quarters and Kelsi got her ride first-one quarter went in....waiting...oops, takes 2. Brody had to quickly jump into the car if he wanted a ride. The zoo cart was a long way from the motorcycle he had his eye on. After that the only thing I heard all the way down the mall was that I never do anything for him, he never gets what he wants, all morning I made him do the baby rides, etc....Drive me nuts!
More complaining....now on our way to Fred Meyer...more complaining from the backseat....now in line to check out at Fred Meyer when he eyes a Pokeman card that apparently he just has to have. Two days ago he didn't know what Pokeman was and had never shown any interest! But now, he is a 'big kid' and he knows they like Pokeman. Hence, more crying and whining when I turned him down and the tune moms love most, 'I never get anything, you never buy me anything. I want something new.'
So, we ditched Costco, I'd had enough 'togetherness' and came straight home to feed lunch and put down for naps and quiet times. I ususally love hanging out with my kids and I am sure I will again when this particular hangover goes away!
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Back to reality
Posted by Kelly at 3:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm experiencing this with my 6 year old girl as of late. Saydria just wants to be a teenager yesterday it seems. I just want to keep her young, but she has lots of friends into Hannah Montana and High School Musical and she's learning via them. At least she still wants me to cuddle with her at night. :)
Funny Kel, that had me chuckling. I love how we all lead parallel lives! When I get the "I never get, don't have, etc.," whine, I immediately remind them of all the things they have/do and may want to have/do, and then threaten to remove all these privileges from their life so they can appreciate them more. Am I mean or what?
Post a Comment