Friday, July 18, 2008

Old Fashioned

What happened to the good old days when people cleaned their house for company? Today I have company coming-yes, it is family, but I still felt the need this morning to clean, clean, clean. That means, inside and outside of the kitchen cabinets (shame on me if the company looks in cabinets and sees crumbs), sweep and mop all floors (no crumbs or sticky spots from kids!), clean downstairs bathroom (a given whenever anyone is coming over), wash rugs, wipe down fridge-inside and out, clean all windows and mirrors, and vacuum.

Now, I am generally a decent housekeeper, stop in anytime. Things are picked up and neat and clean and hey! You may actually see vacuum marks in the rug. But it is some ingrained need in me (from my mom for sure and, I am suspecting, Marilla in Anne of Green Gables, which I have been reading lately-see older posts) to make sure that when I am expecting company that I have cleaned this house, top to bottom. Why is that? I have a few theories.

First, I have always cleaned, I know my mother and my husband appreciate it. Two, I expect it of myself. Three, I do have a serious neat freak-streak in me anyway. Four, I think a clean house is a more comfortable and inviting house and always want my company to feel like they are welcome and in a homey environment. ("Homey" to me, MEANS CLEAN! I usually can't relax if it isn't). Besides, doesn't company deserve the best you can offer them? A clean house to sit and visit in? Why should they have to see the kids' food from breakfast smooshed into the carpet or couch? Or see that you folded 10 loads of laundry yesterday, but were too tired to walk them upstairs and put them away? And please, empty your garbage and clean your fridge as to avoid unwanted smells from either if they are opened!

My house is my domain and my pride. It is my chance to make a small little 'heaven on earth' for my family and any other who wants to enter, so clean it-I shall! I am ready for company now and I have every assurance that my mother and Marilla would both be proud of my ministrations this morning. I definitely pass the "old fashioned" test!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I feel like we are the same, although I do feel like there are days when I do nothing but play and other days I do nothing but clean and housework. It's amazing how quickly it can catch up to me. Someone once told me that housekeeping is like painting the SFO bridge, it's done 365 days a year, and when it's done, they start again the next day.

annie valentine said...

Yes dear, clean is nice and good. My word for Kelly today? RELAX. Your house always looks good. In fact, just to prove my point I'm not calling next time I stop by. Be on guard, Banker Winfield...