Saying 'yes mom' and being a quick minder is something we are constantly working on at our house. Nothing annoys me faster than having to ask my kids multiple times to do something. Regardless of time outs and threats, they still manage to push to my limits often! So I started a rewards system. Each kid gets a half-pint jar of their own to fill with white navy beans. For every time they answer 'yes mom' the first time I ask them to do something, they get a generous handful of beans added to their jar. If I have to ask a second time, they get a less generous handful, but beans still the same. Nothing if I have to ask a third time, but a time out. They also get beans for other things like being kind to each other and being well behaved in the stores.
It has worked remarkably well and the prize for filling their jars up is a special one-on-one date with mom and dad. So Brody filled his jar up and last Friday night was his date night. He chose to go out to dinner at Red Robin-his absolute favorite restaurant. Then he wanted to go to Charlie's Safari to play. I thought it was very sweet that he also wanted to invite Kelsi along to Charlie's Safari. We had a great night together.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Brody's special night
Posted by Kelly at 9:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
What a great idea. I need to do something like that at our house. I like the "Yes Mom" part instead of just a "yes". Hmmm.
You're the third friends of ours to go to Red Robin for something special...what am I missing out on? I guess I need to try the place out again.
Honestly, we don't know what's so special about it, and dont' even care for the food that much. But the kids think it is Disneyland. I guess it's the atmosphere and the game room.
We'd pick somewhere different though.
Awwww! What an awesome big brother!!
Great idea with the beans. I'm going to steal it!
Post a Comment