Saturday, December 5, 2009

Gingerbread House Fun

We love putting together a gingerbread house every year. Last year the package said to let the house sit :15 min after frosting it together. We finished decorating it as the :15 min timer went off. Then we ate on it for days. This year though...

We frosting-glued the house together and MADE the kids watch Frosty's Winter Wonderland so the house could sit for a good :30 min. Okay, the instructions said 2-3 hours, but there was no way we were holding the kids back for that long! Plus last year worked out fine...
Didn't the kids do a great job on the house?! They were actaully trying to put things on so it 'looked right.' Very meticulous.
As the decorating went on and on, I started noticing one end of the house falling in. UH-OH. This can't be good.
Surprisingly, there was very little candy-eating (at least I didn't catch them at it) and mostly decorating. They especially loved using the frosting to glue things together.

The finished product.(the other side was the one falling in). How come we never get around to using all of the candy provided?

Well, after seeing things starting to fall apart while we were decorating I have to admit, I wasn't too surprised to come back downstairs from putting the kids in bed to find our crumbled gingerbread house. It's really OK though because at this point all the kids want to do is eat the thing anyway. Great tradition though, if you don't already decorate a gingerbread house at Christmas with the family, I highly recommend it!

6 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

Your house turned out far more presentable than ours I think. There was no rhyme or reason to where the kids put things. They did create a garden on the side though which I thought was nice. Very fun tradition!

Kendra said...

What a great tradition, we've never done it before! So that was just from a kit? Hmmm, I'll have to buy one the next time I'm out and about. The house looked great before it caved, and very edible afterward!

And yes, we're still planning on coming out for Thanksgiving next year! Love ya! Ken

Kendra said...

What a great tradition, we've never done it before! So that was just from a kit? Hmmm, I'll have to buy one the next time I'm out and about. The house looked great before it caved, and very edible afterward!

And yes, we're still planning on coming out for Thanksgiving next year! Love ya! Ken

Ali said...

Great tradition and this only makes for a great story. You've got to have the tradition go wrong once in a while for future laughs.

Kelly said...

True, true!

Natalie said...

Looks like fun! I'm such a mean mom. We made a healthier version out of graham crackers, frosted mini wheats, raisins... You get the point. LOL