Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day!

Oh what a perfectly lovely May day! How did I let May day slip by this year without putting flowers on someone's doorstep? I remember being a kid and making baskets in school for May day. Does anyone do this anymore? My mom always had us out on May day bringing flowers to people. I have put it on my calendar for NEXT year already. I will remember to teach my kids how lovely May day is. Here are some of my favorite spring flowers, so beautiful.


Daffodils and tulips. The ultimate. I grew up about 1/2 a mile from a bulb farm and the combination of these two flowers in fields and fields, for it seemed miles, is forever etched in my memory. I love tulips and I think daffodils are just the happiest flower ever. Love having them on my kitchen counter all spring!


A definite childhood favorite, the snowball bush. Really I think it's a hydrangea of some sort, but it will always make me think of my lovely and precious Grandma Diane. She had a big snowball tree in the corner of her front yard and she was always out in her yard all spring and summer planting flowers and making her outside absolutely beautiful. Next to the snowball tree in grandma's yard was an equally impressive....



Lilac bush! So my very, very favorite flower and scent from my childhood is the lilac. My mother also had one in our yard that my brother gave her one year for mother's day. For me, these spring flowers are the ultimate flowers and have so many great memories attached to them. I love how you get a scent on the air and immediately it can transport you to another wonderful time in your life.




Hope you all enjoyed your May day!






3 comments:

Allisha said...

I am totally in love with lilacs too! When I was a kid we had 2 lilac bushes in our back yard, a lavender one and a dark purple one, so they always remind me of my childhood. And the smell is so heavenly!! Happy May Day to you!!

Ali said...

They had wonderful smelling lilacs as well as the most gorgeous beds of tulips and daffodils at the SLC temple last week.
I too feel like I missed May Day! I grew up making little paper cones with my sisters and picking all the neighborhood flowers to put in them so we could ding and ditch them on the doorsteps of all our neighbors. Today would have been a perfect day for it too! I don't think anyone does that anymore, actually I didn't know anyone else had that same memory.

Kelly said...

Thanks you guys for sharing your great memories! We need to bring the tradition back, ya?