Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The thrills of potty training

We are so very close. Kelsi has finally decided that the potty chair is not an enemy. Thank goodness! Last Saturday we received this little miracle (see pic below) and she has refused to wear diapers or pull-ups since, opting instead to run to the toilet whenever she feels nature call. I know she loves the idea of her own seat. And I love it too, it just lifts off and folds to lean against the wall until needed.




She's been doing an awesome job with her #1's. However, the #2's are about ready to drive me insane. 7 poopy panties in 48 hours. Luckily nothing's spilled over onto my floor yet, but still...truly disgusting. With no hope in sight of her deciding to deposit it in the pot, my MIL reminded me of the wonderful 'reward' system. Let's just say I am hanging my hopes on the fact that the promise of a red licorice stick will keep her running to the toilet.


The 'accident' zone. We put the cones up after a big mop is needed, however, not much need for this lately as she has been doing really well and hadn't had any pee-pee accidents since Sunday. Don't know what happened yesterday though. I think maybe she lost her grove after I made her put on a pull-up after the 7th poopy accident and I was losing patience. Don't want any regression though, so took her back out of it :20 min later, but it still turned into a pee-pee accident. See, what a mind game potty training is!


Just love all this p & p talk on my blog though.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Ahhh, the joys. I don't think I'll ever be doing it again...I think that's a good thing.

Kristin said...

OK and by fun I don't mean this. Seriously for me, potty training was the biggest challenge of parenting - pure torture. The cones are making me laugh so hard - that is seriously awesome!

Denys said...

I know exactly what you are going through. It seems everyone I know is going through potty training right now. I started Sammy in June and the first month he was so against it! Then, I just decided pull-ups had turned into fancy diapers and he was going into underwear. Luckily, it totally worked. That and Skittles! I declared today the end of potty training, when he did his first #2 in the potty all by himself. He has been hating #2's. I've had to pull out some BIG "incentives/rewards" for #2's, but even then, he would only do it when he was ready, or in 1 case, when he had diarhea, after 2+ days of holding it in. "incentives" were big in Bryce's autism pre-school, so I have some good info on them if needed. Good Luck!!! - I agree- 7 poopy accidents in 48 hours is too much!!!!