"My kid is smarter than your kid...." (in the most annoying, sing-song voice). Yes, I know. Every parent thinks, at some point, that their child is a genius, a prodigy, the next Einstein, you get the picture. So today is my day to oogle, aww, and ohhh over the gigantic brain that encumpasses my 5 year old's head. What did he do? You may be asking? Re-invent the wheel? Tune up the car? SOOOO CLOSE! He read this:
With no help from me and no sounding out. Just pouring the kids' cereal and Brody asks, "Mom, what's play food?" As casual as can be, in spite of the fact that he had just labeled himself....GENIUS!
I knew he had been sounding out words correctly. I have been hearing him in the car reading his little books. You know the ones. Hop on pop. Snow bugs. Pig, dog, cat, etc. But 'play food?!', hey little boy, you just hit one out of the park during a big league baseball game! So kudos to my little smartie pants today. Now mom knows for sure that I have a future BA, BS, MD, DDS, GA or some other title with initials behind it.
Friday, October 24, 2008
Genius Genes
Posted by Kelly at 11:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
That IS good. I hope your school district has a good gifted program to keep his attention. Tatton was reading before he went into kindergarten and that kid was so stinking bored! Have you ever heard of the Read Right program? The theory is based on kids like Brody who just "pick up" reading & concentrates on repetitive reading of sight words instead of phonics. I'm still a phonics fan, but it's really interesting how the brain remembers words (like play & food.) He must have seen them somewhere and made that connection. Smart guy!
Post a Comment