Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hummpphhh

Fluke, FLUKE! Oh such a fluke! She KNOWS. She knows that I have figured out she will go potty in the toilet if left unclothed. Because guess what? She now refuses to go naked. After yesterday morning's triumphs we got....NOTHING. Not one more time in the toilet and she insisted on having a diaper.

So, this is what I have to look forward to huh? 16 more years of trying to use some sort of tricked-out-child-reverse-psychology because Kelsi is determined to make parenting an adventure. I'll I can say right now is (insert whatever is your favorite total scream of frustration here!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

J. Baxter said...

Never fear, she's actually passed the point of no return - she just doesn't know it yet.

Seriously. I've seen this in a dozen little kids I know. Once they voluntarily go for it - even for a day - they are never quite the same, because they know. They know they can do it, they know it wasn't any big deal, and they know they can't be in diapers for ever. Some kids just want to make sure it's their deal, or something. But when they put the diaper back on, it doesn't usually last too long.

I suggest asking her every morning if she wants underpants or a diaper - as if you could care less - but reminding her that she can only have underpants on while they stay dry. If she pees - no big deal, but back with the diaper. That way she still has control, but you make the rules. It doesn't usually take very long if you do it, I've seen several mom's try this one.

Good luck!!! My bet is she's done before Thanksgiving.

J. Baxter said...

Oh, and I just left you comments on the posts I missed - just so you know:)

Natalie said...

Wow! You've been a busy blogger since I least came by to see you! I'm with Jen. She sounds like she's coming right along & it'll be no time. As a fellow mother of a girl who only does things on her own terms I'm well versed in reverse psych & I feel your pain. Smart kids... they'll tire you out sometimes...

annie valentine said...

No one feels your pain at this moment like I do. I've given up. When he wants to play at the Ikea playcenter, he'll go pee in the toilet and wear undies. When he wants to ride the bus, he'll have to urinate on the toilet first.

But man am I sick of poopy three-year-old diapers.

J. Baxter said...

Hmmm. Dying for an update - I should probably just call you to see how it's going...

(Word verifier says "mucks". Why does that seem so appropriate?)

Kelly said...

Well, Thursday was Kelsi's day at Linda's and she said she tried to put her on the potty once, but Kelsi wouldn't go. Then yesterday we spent quite a lot of time running errands so-no naked chances there.

That brings us to today, she is sitting at the counter eating breakfast. I think I'll strip her after and see what goes down. On Thursday I did ask her if she wanted to wear panties or diaper...she picked diaper that day and I hid my disappointment.

J. Baxter said...

Just don't lose hope! And at least if she says she wants a diaper you know what kind of mood she's in, right?

Kelly said...

Well, she asked for panties today. And then we had to run errands, scary. I put the toilet in the back of the Trooper and put her on it periodically, but no go. However, no accidents either.

Then came naptime. I told her I'd put a diaper on her and she refused, so I threatened if she didn't use the potty before nap she WOULD be getting a diaper. She went in the potty. But those dumb potties are hard for girls to keep it in and of course, it ran all over my floor. But, the deed was accomplished.

J. Baxter said...

Oooo, get a potty chair like Annie's! There oval shaped, and so you don't have that problem at all. They didn't have them when I was training my other kids, so I went on ebay and bought an old fashioned one like we used - that's a little fold-up chair, remember?

And yay Kelsi!! That's a great sign!