Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I am sick of politics

But with the election only 3 weeks away I find myself reading articles, watching the news, and hanging over the debates. However, I now find myself truly disturbed over something. Last night I was blog hopping here and there and ended up on some LDS persons website where they were singing the praises of Barack Obama. They had something like 60 comments (my guess is quite a few of those came from their LDS/Christian friends and family community) and the majority of the comments were that people were supporting him.

I don't know or care much about Obama the man, (even though my mom thinks that is a whole other issue!) but I have read enough to know that a vote for the Democratic ticket deals with two things I find abhorrent and have a hard time believing that anyone in the LDS or a Christian faith can support. These two things are abortion and gay marriage. I just gave a lesson in YW on Sunday and some of it dealt with abortion and thanks to a wonderful article in this month's Ensign, I had some great quotes from Elder Russell M. Nelson to share with the girls about the church's strong and forthright opinion on this subject. I suggest all people should read this article. http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=b4b8db98e2b9c110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

Then I came across this article http://www.newsweek.com/id/163896?GT1=43002 about what a vote for Obama means concerning abortion. He believes as part of the women's movement that a women's right to choose to abort is totally and fully her choice! If you click the above article, I believe that Elder Nelson explains quite clearly that a baby is not a choice, it is a consequence of having sex (whether wanted or not!). She already made her choice by starting down that path.

Much to my horror Obama has no support nor shown a history of support for a child in the womb. He also supports the idea that a child who is the victim of a late-term abortion (read between the lines...a fully formed baby), but SURVIVES has no rights to life. Can you imagine trying to abort a baby, yet it survives and what? is then born alive and people believe at this point you just...what? let it die? Yes, I can see that is totally within our Heavenly Father's plan (laying on the sarcasm VERY thick here). How can someone who considers themselves a Christian support this ticket?

I am not even going into gay marriage, but just let me say that if schools and politicians think that teaching such a controversial, moral issue in schools to kids, without their parents permission, does not CROSS THE LINE into religious issues in schools they are nuts. Because essentially, by teaching my child in school that gay marriage is okay, they are telling my child that the God I teach him about at home is wrong. And if that isn't mixing religion in school, then I don't know what is!

So you know, if you want to leave a comment, do, but if you feel like kicking my trash in the comments-don't bother. No one will change my views on the above topics and besides this is my blog and I can write what I want. If what I said bothers you, go complain about it on your own blog!

6 comments:

Whitney Seaberg said...

You go Kel!!! Thanks for the insight!!

J. Baxter said...

Regardless of how people view the economy, etc., I have often wondered this same thing. To me, if you're going to take a stand somewhere, it should be on moral ground first.

Kelly said...

So true Jen, that is exactly how I view this. We are supposed to be a God fearing and loving people first! If we have listened to the prophets and are out of debt and have our food storage-we will be okay, or at least will survive!

Natalie said...

Wow! You must have done really well in debate class. The part about late term abortion was REALLY disturbing. I'm curious about the Obama as a man as a seperate issue from Koni's perspective thing. Sounds interesting. I don't see how we can not consider each candidate in their entirity (personal lives and all) since who they really are in all aspects of their lives determines what kind of leader they'll be. I'm SO sick of all these smear ads and propaganda all over the place. They just keep pointing their finger at the other person and making accusations but it's so hard to know what kind of person someone actually is from the little snippets we get. Thanks for the info!

Skeem's said...

I Know some people who are voting for Obama and they say that they have done their research and are still voting for him? It's very scary to me! Being pregnant It makes me so sick to think of anyone supporting someone who is for abortion. I think abortion is pretty evil. I totally agree with everything you said.

Stephanie said...

I'm with you on this one. I don't understand how members of our faith can support Obama with his skewed morals. The democratic party definitely isn't what it used to be many years ago. I have friends who love Obama and I just think they are blinded. He stands for nothing, literally.