Friday, April 10, 2009

Cereal

When I was a kid I loved cold cereal. Seriously, sometimes the only thing that could get me out of bed in the morning was knowing my cold cereal was waiting downstairs. The only bummer was my mom was a believer in the 'healthy' cold cereal. This meant that the only time we got Captain Crunch was when dad happened to venture into a store and come across the cereal aisle (usually these forays into a store also ended with him in the ice cream aisle-thanks dad-there seriously would never have been any treats that didn't include honey and carob if it hadn't been for you).

When my mom did the shopping we were the house that had Rice Krispies (not chocoloate), Cheerios (not Honey Nut), Shredded Wheat (yes the kind only your grandma gets that comes in the one huge log-not frosted), and if we were lucky Kix or Raisin Bran or something. It was embarrassing trying to feed a sleepover friend breakfast in the morning.

Anyway, now as a mom myself, I admit I started out with my mom's old standards. And was so disappointed that my kids didn't love cold cereal. Even when I poured indecent amounts of sugar in it trying to get it palatable for them. I wanted them to love it. It is a great breakfast...and EASY for a mom to make. Without it, I would spend 2-3 hours in the morning trying to get my kids to eat anything. Toast, eggs, yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal, leftovers...Please, please kids! Choose something! Until, I got wise and started buying Capt Crunch. Hmmm, those kids were a-begging for breakfast all of the sudden.

That was when they realized that cold cereal wasn't all that bad. However, I knew I couldn't feed them Capt Crunch every day, I do have some standards afterall. So I started dipping into the not-bland-cereal-yet-not-obviously-laden-with-tons-of-sugar-cereal mix. As of this morning, here is what is in my cupboard:

See? Not so shabby, eh? I wouldn't have been embarrassed to offer a friend any of these choices on Saturday morning. Now I haven't read all of the nutrition labels (and would probably just keep buying Capt Crunch if I actually did). But I figure these can't be any worse than a bowl of plain Cheerios that have an inch or so of sugar swimming in the bottom, right?!

3 comments:

Ali said...

Hilarious! I'm coming to your house for breakfast! I grew up the same way you did and my kids are growing up the same way I did...although they have learned to like what I buy. I see your Sugar Smacks...that was my dad's favorite so when he went to the store we loved it!

Stephanie said...

Everytime I see Pops Cereal, I think of Jen. I remember her saying that she could not eat just one bowl, but that it was a "sitting" of Pops that she used to enjoy.
Your curtains look beautiful!!

J. Baxter said...

Oh Steph, you know me so well! And now I feed my children (mostly) the healthy stuff, with a little of the good stuff. And funny you should mention being embarrassed when friends come over, because tonight Liam has one staying the night ... and I took him to the store and bought some PB Captain Crunch!

(Does that make me an acceptable mother????)