Monday, May 26, 2008

Bilingual Baby

Honestly, is it just too weird that our toddlers know more Spanish than we know? I mean, I know it is totally un-PC to say that I don't want the Disney channel teaching my kids foreign languages-I want them to speak English-thanks! But when I pull myself back from listening to my 2 year old answer me in Spanish and really think about it, I do come to the conclusion that our children learning to speak a different language can only be a benefit for their future. Hey, I even took Spanish in high school and I wish I could actually speak and understand it, (what I really wish I understood is what the little Asian ladies who are doing my pedicure were saying, ya gotta think the Seinfeld episode had it right).
So although I am probably totally archaic and come from a completely different world than what my kids are growing up in, I do laugh (although with a little bit of surprise and shock) that for at least the last few days, Kelsi seems to have lost the word "yes" from her vocabulary and replaced it with, "si mama." Pass the carne asada, por favor.

1 comments:

Kpetes-draggin said...

Hey Kelly, I just found your blog and I read this one to the family. Jordan was especially cracking up. We all attempt a bit of Spanish at our house. Anyway, you got a cute thing going. I am trying to get mine started. Come and visit. http://kpetes-draggin.blogspot.com/ Love you all. Aunt Kerry