Saturday, May 24, 2008

Losing my baby

This year a lot of Brody's friends and church-mates are starting kindergarten, but my dear son misses the deadline of August 30th, having a September 6th birthdate. Well, I have mixed feelings on this. First of all, I think it is a total bummer for him that all of his little CTR 5 buddies will be in the grade ahead of him. And in our ward (and school district) the kids below him in church who will be in his school grade are 8 girls and 1 boy! Now, I know that it is possible and probable that by the time he reaches a school age where church and school friends need to coincide that our ward could very well be quite different, but still...
Second of all, I actually feel that he could be ready for Kindergarten, academically he is, even emotionally and socially I have no reserves. So I feel a little guilty, like I am actually holding him back. I could probably try to test him in, but then I feel like I should let the 'chips fall where they may,' so to speak. He, technically, should be in the next year.
Third, all of the sudden I realize that sending my baby to Kindergarten means that I kiss him good-bye and put him on a bus and he leaves me. For 3 hours, I am separated from him. Not that 3 hours is a big deal-I can handle that, but I don't think I can handle what comes next. First grade! Brody gone from my house and sight for 7 or more hours a day. I don't want to think about not seeing him or being able to cuddle or kiss his sweet head whenever I want to.
Now I know I will need to, I just can't think about it yet. It cannot be possible that day is anywhere in sight, but it is. He may not being going to school this year and I admit, as selfish as it is, that I am glad. I am glad that I do not have to be separated from my precious son, my friend, and my best conversationalist during the day. (Kelsi has plenty to say, I just don't understand her.)
So to all of you moms who are losing your sweet babies this year to Kindergarten, just spend a lot of time this summer snuggling them close and appreciating their presence in your home. Kindergarten turns into 1st grade at which point other people see your child more than you do. That's a tough thing for a mom to go through-this is a person who has been with you for 5-6 years every day and night and you are used to their presence. It'll be a tough thing for me alright, and I am so glad I have another year to get used to it!

1 comments:

Skeem's said...

Why do they have to grow up so fast? It's crazy. It has been raining here all week, I'm feeling like I am in Wa. I love your post about Kelsi asking "why" Logan has luckily grown out of that stage but I did the same thing, "because I said so" your kids are so cute!!