Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We LOVE the sandbox!








Bryce and I made the kids a sandbox over the weekend and boy, has it been a hit. Bryce did a great job getting all of the material together and planning out how it should be built to 1. look the best in the yard, 2. be at a 'leveled slope' so the rain would roll off the cover, 3. have a cover, 4. have the grass bed artistically flow around the sandbox (it was originally all grass there), and 5. (althought we haven't gotten there yet) plant new tropical greenery and groundcover in the newly barked area. I am very impressed with my hubby. I would have thrown together a few boards with nails (apparantly nails are wrong. In order to keep the wood, which was warped, from popping loose, SCREWS are the way to go), and put a tarp over the top. I am glad he was in charge of the project and I was just the assistant.




When it was finished the kids got on their boots, coats, and hats, because although it is April it is freezing cold and wet here, and spent sunbreaks in the sandbox. Well, Brody spent sunbreaks in the sandbox and quickly came back inside at the first sight of any big black cloud rolling in the sky. But Kelsi roughed it out in the box, come rain, snow, sleet or hail. At one point I really thought it was raining too hard for her to still be out there, but when I ventured to lean my head out and ask her if she wanted to come inside she called out, "NO WAY!" So I left her and she completely enjoyed herself. Here is the sandbox when not in use so you can get a clear picture of the beauty of Bryce's design. I think we will be adding a roof to it though because this is Washington and we want the kids to be able to enjoy it more than 20 out of 365 days.

2 comments:

annie valentine said...

I am totally impressed, it looks fantastic! "No Way!" is one of Rex's big things right now as well, so funny. I'm getting him into some preschool speech testing, I think his tongue might have caused a few bad habits since we only understand half of everything he says. He was SEVERELY tongue tied for the first 2+ years of his life thanks to a crappy pediatrician. Back to the sandbox. Love it.

Emily said...

How fun! I am also very impressed with you and your hubby's hard work. I always wanted my own sandbox when I was little, but my mom used the excuse that our cat would use it as a litter box. Which now that I'm older, I'm pretty sure is not true.

Enjoy your new sandbox Brody and Kelsi. I am very jealous!