"Every family has a kids who won't eat..." That was me. I hated mealtimes. I hated meat. I hated warm food. My only food desire between the ages of 2 and 31 (and counting) was cold cereal. Unfortunately the apple doesn't fall from the tree and I have been amply punished for driving my parents crazy every mealtime, in the form of my son Brody.
What a NOT eater. Every meal is a huge fiasco. Because we have tried every method known to man. The bribes, the threatening, the isolation table (where he is currently residing this very second), the ignoring. We've done it and nothing works. It is driving me crazy.
On the other side we have Kelsi and her little antics. The latest is her lovely phrase, 'ZIP IT', during which she also sticks her chubby arm out and uses a slashing/zipping motion directly aimed at the object of her 'ZIP IT' phrase. The first couple of times I thought this was pretty funny. So did Bryce. Yet tonight as I watched her yelling this at her dad as he attempted to cajole Brody into eating, I had a sudden flash forward and realized this may be cute in a 2 yr old, but if she thinks she's pulling this at 4, she's nuts. And if we think we can let her get away with it for the next two years, only to try and put the kabosh on it then-we are nuts!
So tonight we learned the important lesson of---if your kids are saying or doing something now that won't seem funny or cute by Kindergarten, you'd better stop that bus. And laugh with your spouse about it later on that night.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
A Christmas Story
Posted by Kelly at 5:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love it! Zip it?! LOL At least you can "get" Brody's non-eating. I've always been such a foodie that I can't begin to wrap my mind around pickiness. I WISH the only thing I wanted to eat was cold cereal.
I am laughing. very funny. so I have/working on it being in the past, a non-eater, ask your mom if he liked the peaches...I have actually flat out bribed him and it worked. I had him "earn" money by trying a new food - chew and swallow. He saw this toy he really wanted....so I took advantage, I think he got a quarter for each thing. And by new I don't mean spicy Thai, I actually tried for things I thought he would like, like apples! pasta with red sauce on it! Ham in his quesadilla! all shocking. The best part, he now eats 'some' new things because he actually did like some of it. oh and we read and quoted "green eggs and ham" a lot.
If it makes you feel any better, Meara has been having her own little sassy moments lately. I too, have come to the conclusion that it will NOT be tolerated! No way I'm letting my little girl be the spoiled brat of the family if I can help it! You have my support.
Thanks for the tip Kristin, money is one thing Brody is interested in. Especially because we are now letting him know if he wants toys all of the time he can earn some money to buy them. I think your plan is genius!
And that's right Jen-no sassies for us!
"Isolation table". I love it.
Post a Comment