Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Skeletons in my closet

Yesterday morning I got an email from the YW's president in the ward asking if I would teach a class on style for mutual Wednesday night. Now, there was a time when I would have considered myself a good candidate for teaching a class about how to dress your body for maximum style results. But those days, my friends, have been in the past, or more realistically, a bin in my garage labeled "Kelly's skinny clothes" for the last 3 years. I shuddered, re-read the email, groaned a little, and then replied that I would. Well, besides being slightly flattered (the prez actually said I always look put together, but let's face it she was desperate and she only sees my 1 day a week), I had guilt because I am the Mia Maid advisor and kind of have somewhat of a responsibility to help out a little and she had asked for a volunteer and no one else complied. So here I go.

I sat at my computer Monday morning and googled, 'dressing for body type.' As I read all of the experts fashion advice on how to maximize your blessings and minimize your curses, I realized how far I had come off the fashion path. I mentally sifted through the clothes hanging in my closet and thought of the circumstance under which each was purchased.

*Bought for Bryce's company Christmas party a desperate 24 hours before said event (about 3 things fall into this category-hey he's worked there 6 years-and every year is the same story)

*Bought while hauling 2 fussing kids around a shopping cart in Target, or the mall, or Old Navy, or Fred Meyer....

*Bought while sitting at my computer....online! This has happened numerous amounts of times and let me say, that almost none of these items were very flattering, just were getting worn repeatedly anyway.

*Bought when pretty skinny in a size I knew would only be mine if I never gave birth again or ate again...but was with the hubby and he insisted and then questioned when I said maybe I should by a size up. Yeah, that dress hasn't been worn since 2004.

Overall, my closet was full of clothes that were bought under duress and nothing was especially flattering. I don't even own a go-to outfit, that is scary. I have shorts that I keep resurrecting every summer-hoping, pants that hang there taunting me to ever be able to fit them again, tops that have gone out of style while waiting to be worn on some ever-elusive day. Seeing a theme here? I have a closet, but it is someone else's.

It was a true wake-up call to me. So I went to the library and stocked myself on fashion/style books to help me plan the class, but also to re-plan me. As uncomfortable as it was to come face to face with my worst nightmare (okay not really, I know there are way worse things out there...but in the category of "this is not life threatening, but still a big deal"), the mom I swore I'd never be, the proverbial "I've had kids and I look it," mom. I know it's time to purge and build.

So here goes for the rules for the new closet.

1) I will not go shopping with children, on a deadline, or for clothes at Target.
2)I will not buy something that I do not try on first.
3) I will buy higher quality clothes that will not fall apart, lose shape, or get these mysterious little holes in the front (finally figured out why ALL of my shirts were doing this-leaning against a porous kitchen counter top 10 hours a day puts holes in cheap fabric).
4) I will only buy clothes that are flattering. I know this sounds like a duh! statment, but its been happening, usually due to the screaming kids/deadlines.

But now I must get back to planning Wednesday's lesson and figure out how to pack a lifetime's amount of style info into :15 min.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. You just described most of my wardrobe too. More things bought under duress than not and WAY too many low quality things that are falling apart. I don't want to be THAT mommy either. LOL

J. Baxter said...

I think I should send you new Lucky subscription as an early B-day present. They are very inspiring.

And as a shopping buddy I believe I have proven myself? It's been awhile, but you may get lonely without the children... I'd be happy to take their place.

And I'll bring my own sippy cup and snack.

Kelly said...

Yes, you are a great shopping partner! And I'd love to go sometime, now that I am making it a commitment in my life. Remember you got me the Lucky subscription? It was fun to look through, but pretty trendy and I have re-thought and realized what my fashion style is (I've read many books the last few days on it) a classic chic.

What does this mean? I enjoy dressing in classic colors and cuts of clothing, but love to throw in a chic piece-jewelry, handbag, shoes, belt, jacket, etc to show the world, YES I still want to be with the trends! So, just pass me your Lucky castoffs and with the money you save, buy yourself a trendy piece of jewelry! You always look so good.

Stephanie said...

I feel the same way about my closet, and what is this "go to outfit?" I need to get me one of those. :)

Alison and Nate said...

Kelly I love how this was such a near and dear to your heart subject and it showed. Here you were planning the perfect class, but you wrote such a well thought out and organized blog piece! great rules to shop by though. I find that I shop by sales. I know what I want and I wait until I know their are major sales happening and then I sift through the sales racks and work my way to the fron if necessary or right back out the door most times. I also shop by color. I find that at certain times I gravitate to certain colors. How many fashion magazines do we read that tell us how to find the great staples at different price levels and what do we do? We swing by the clothing dept. hopefull that we can squeeze a moment of indugence in before the dam breaks lose of the kids torturing each other, and we throw in some random thing on sale like shoving a chocolate chip cookie in your mouth for instant grawtification.