Friday, September 5, 2008

Laundry for the insane

I have just had an 'aha' moment. Do most of you ladies out there hate doing laundry? Well, call me freakin' crazy because I LOVE it! Why? Because it incorporates some of my very most favorite things:

Organization
Sanitation
Fanaticism
Efficiency
Repition

First you take smelly, dirty clothes and separate them into little neat piles (organization).

Then you fill up your washing machine with said clothes and dump in the soap (sanitiation).

Next the clothes go into the dryer and come out smelling sweet, feeling warm, and I love it when I can smooth out the wrinkles on warm, pliable clothes and put them into neat and concise piles for each family member (again, organization).

Now said piles get formed into one large pile to be carried upstairs. I always go to Kelsi's room first, then Brody's room, then upstairs bathroom, master bedroom and master bath. Therefore, when I pack small piles into one large, the piles are in descending order from bottom to top opposite of the order I move from room to room. So, of course Kelsi's stuff ends up on top and master bath ends up on the bottom. (fanaticism).

Then upstairs we go and next comes probably my most favorite part....putting them away. I move from room to room, like one in a dance, placing piles of laundry on each person's dresser, starting with Kelsi, until I have placed all laundry piles in each person's room. Then I move back through and put each item away. (pure craziness)

I enjoy the sight of a full and clean-clothed closet and when I glance in the laundry basket get a thrill when I see it filling up again, knowing I can soon do more laundry. Sometimes I can't even wait for a full load and have to get everything clean and all laundry baskets empty-even if it means a half load. Oh wait! There are always towels, rugs, or the clothes I am wearing to throw in to make a full load. (totally insane, oh and repition)

Oh man, just writing this is getting me excited. I think I'll send my kids out to play in the mud.

6 comments:

J. Baxter said...

I really don't know what to say. Only you. Do you want to come over? We could "play" laundry. JK, my "unorganized" laundry situation would probably kill you. I don't want that on my conscience.

Kelly said...

Oh, I'd be happy to play, but don't worry no one's situation would kill me-it really doesn't bother me-except at my own house!

Natalie said...

That would be such a nice obsession to have! Your lucky family! I just found my couch since with 6 people I'm doing an average of 4+ loads of laundry a day and typically send those loads from the dryer to the couch where they sit unfolded until I decide to fold 8 loads at once. I'm hoping to break this bad habit now that the kids are in school and I have no excuse for not folding the laundry right away!

Emily said...

Another reason I too love laundry: I wait until the kids are in bed, get out the clean laundry and fold to it while watching back-to-back episodes of "House Hunters." Multitasking!

Kpetes-draggin said...

Kelly I am famous as a laundress. I don't know if you remember the "WEE" that was the clothing bucket and we also used to toss Allison in it-hense the WEE. Anyway, since that I have upgraded to much better laundry hampers and I have been known to keep up with the laundry of 3 families. I just can't stand to have dirty smelly laundry in the house. Grandma Diane is a laundry fanatic too-only I just learned that in the last few years. By the way, the folding and putting away sometimes gets backed up a bit..But it is clean...

annie valentine said...

I go in and out of obsessive laundry phases. There are weeks when my loads are so small due to overlaundrazization that I can't wait to strip my kids down at the end if the day. Then I'll have a week where no one touches it. No one meaning me.

But the best is when Mom comes to visit. She's a laundry obsessed genius.