Sunday, May 17, 2009

Chicken coops and carnivals

We had the best weather this weekend and we had the best weekend also! Who would have thought building a chicken coop in Bryce's mom's backyard would be so fun? However, that is what we did all day Saturday and it was fun and fabulous. Luckily Bryce knew what he was doing and I turned out to be a pretty decent assistant, board holder, tape measure reader, and even used the nail gun and cut a few pieces with the skill saw.

The kids did pretty good entertaining themselves for 6 hours in grandma's backyard. They played on the pirate ship, dug holes in the dirt pile, swung on the swing, hit the beach ball around, and even played cowboy and indians (see picture).

We got there around 10am and finished up about 4pm and both Bryce and I left with the best farmers' tans ever! Obviously, it's not completely done yet, so I will post a completely finished picture. However, here are a few pictures of our progress:







After the chicken coop fun, we got ready to go to Brody's school carnival. This was our first year going and I didn't really know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised and impressed at the amount of fun things for the kids to do. Our kids loved it. We did the bounce house, the dart throwing (Brody's best game), threw balls at cans, went through a maze, the sledge hammer, went fishing, Kelsi played Plinko and flipped fake frogs, and more, it was crazy! Because I forgot my camera I don't have any pics of Brody there, but here is a cute pic of him Bryce took on his phone!


Here is a picture of Kelsi at the carnival, riding the horses. (Thank goodness Bryce had his phone, she was so adorable sitting up there in her cowgirl hat, I wish it had turned out better though). As soon as she saw it, she was begging to go. She went right up to the worker and let him lead her to and put her on a horse. She looked SO cute! But she had to wait a few minutes for the other kids to get loaded and I noticed she did not like it when her horse shifted beneath her. She started crying and saying, "I don't like this...." I was ready to take her off, but luckily Bryce just kept telling her how fun it was and when the ride actually started she did okay, but wiped her eyes through the first couple of times around. Then she seemed to settle down into it and was proud of herself for riding. I thought all was well, but today we mentioned something about it and she said, "I don't like that ride!" So, maybe she was just a really good trooper!

5 comments:

Kendra said...

What a great weekend for your fam! I'm so glad you had good weather, it looks like you guys created some great memories! Love you guys :)

J. Baxter said...

Way to pull out those pro-plastic skills! They were bound to come in handy at some point.

Kelly said...

Oh Jen, you remember! Yeah, Linda was like, "how do you know how to do this?" So I regaled her with my time at Pro Plastics...she was duly impressed.

Kristin said...

Impressive carpentry skills.

Ali said...

Impressive chicken coop. Is Bryce ready to come over and build us a shed now?