Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Nanny Mom

No, I don't want to BE a nanny mom, but today I realized I am the kind of mom who needs a nanny. Please, don't judge me too harshly...not like I have judged those kinds of moms in the past. You know, the ones who have a nanny so they can go to the gym, have lunch out, run errands, and all of that stuff that is totally possible to do with kids, but would be enjoyable moments in life if the kids didn't turn it into work!

But I really need to break up my thrilling routine of :

get out of bed
cartoons/diaper changes/1st breakfast call for the kids
check email/blogs/2nd breakfast call for the kids
throw away soggy, uneaten cereal
10am shower for me/dress kids
starving kids begging for something to eat-yet deny all of my suggestions,

I could keep going, but really folks, it doesn't get much more exciting than this for the rest of the day. So why do I need a nanny? Shouldn't I be able to handle this on my own? Yes, and I can, but my brain is dead and I need to get out of this house without kids to be able to revive it. So bring on the nanny who will take my kids to the park while I do something adult. Please~

Because having a husband around doesn't help much. I find that no matter what room I am in (even if he is here) my kids have migrated to find me. If I run the bathtub, they are undressing while running to jump in, if I do anything in the bathroom, they are there to witness (lovely, yes, I know). If the kids are downstairs with dad, but I go upstairs, next thing I know they are both my little shadows. Somehow, they never seem to migrate to him....Not that I don't love them and know this stage will soon be over, I do. And I take in every cherubic curve of their faces....while they are peacefully sleeping.

But today, I really needed a nanny!

5 comments:

Sassyfrass said...

Oh my, how I can relate to this one! Even when Daddy IS home, I'm still "on duty". There's no such thing as privacy in our house. You guys should set up a babysitting co-op. We did it for a while last Summer. Everyone has a designated time slot that they watch kids (you determine how many you can handle) and then you can drop your kids off at everyone elses house the rest of the week... It's fantastic for grabbing a couple of hours of "mommy" time!

J. Baxter said...

Complete sympathy and ZERO judging from this corner. I too was made for a nanny - particularly since you have way more patience and endurance for getting all those housewify things done than I'll ever have.

Definitely time to assign the husband one night a week where you take off and do something ALONE. In the GROWN-UP WORLD. And when I say alone, I of course just mean sans kids - other girls are fine. (Just let me know when you get something planned - I'd be happy to accompany you!)

Kristin said...

sigh, what I wouldn't trade for some private time! I have been known to give myself time outs in my room sitting with my back against the door to stop anyone from climbing on me and doing some deep breathing.

Natalie said...

You have my sympathy. We have a similiar "mommy's little shadows" dynamic around here too. Only, my boys are starting to get to the age that they push me away instead of following me everywhere (which is actually kinda sad.) It's pretty much just Brooke that drives me nuts (talking to me throughout my entire shower, climbing all over me the minute I sit down to watch a movie or get on the computer, refusing to let dad help her with pretty much anything since she wants "mom to do it".) Sometimes I feel like I am being stalked.

Kendra said...

I am so with you on this one! The girls actually do follow Jer more when he's home, but it's the night times that kill me! Besides the fact that I am still nursing Jaxon in the middle of the night, anybody that wakes up for a drink, nightmare, or potty comes in our room, walks around the bed, and wakes me up instead of daddy...this includes our dog, who comes in usually at least once a night, sometimes two. Trust me, no judgment from this end!