Did I mention my kids are going to mothers? Their Grandma Linda told them she was getting baby chicks and she would let them take the chicks over here, to our house for awhile if they wanted. If they wanted?! Of course they wanted! She forgot to mention, however, how these chicks would arrive.
For instance, I was assuming they would come all soft and fluffy and alive. Apparently Brody and Kelsi were assuming they would crack out of an egg she would give them. So when we were at her house a few weeks ago and she offered to let the kids get eggs out of the chicken coop the kids begged to bring them home. Little did I know.
We got home and immediately Brody broke his on the kitchen floor. Catastrophy. The end of the world. Bryce and I could not understand why he was so very upset about losing an egg. I was going to fix them for breakfast when the kids got tired of them and Brody dislikes eggs. What was the big deal? Read on.
Then Kelsi wanted a 'bed' for hers. I fixed it up with a paper towel in a small tupperware container and over breakfast the next morning she and I had a very enlightening conversation about how baby chicks are hatched out of eggs.
"Well, the mama chicken sits on the egg so it stays nice and warm, then the baby grows inside and comes out."
Then I stupidly went upstairs to go about my day....and came downstairs to find Kelsi had devised her own little chick-hatching station. She had put her egg in its tupperware bed, plced that on our fluffiest downstairs pillow, covered it all with her personal pink blankie and had the entire 'nest' shoved up against our fireplace, wich she had turned on.
Needless to say, I had to re-explain to both Brody (no wonder he had bawled when his egg broke, he wasn't crying over the loss of his breakfast, but of his chance to mother a baby chick) and to Kelsi the nature of the chicken and the egg and when it's appropriate for a frying pan or a chicken coop.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
The Great Chicken Hatchery
Posted by Kelly at 3:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh boy, kids sure can make an every-day experience super exciting! Those poor kids, that will probably be something they'll never forget...and laugh at when they're older! So cute, I love hearing about them, tell them both Aunt Kendra misses them!
That's a great story! I was afraid you were going to say Kelsi was sitting on the egg. I'm glad it was just the fireplace.
I thought you were going to say that Kelsi was sitting on the egg too :) How funny!!!
Thank goodness she wasn't! Can you imagine? However, I wouldn't put it past her, but it would require her to sit still for more than two seconds. What a feat that would be.
Post a Comment