Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Leprechan Day

Brody has really bought into this St.Patrick's Day stuff. So much so, I almost have guilt over how he might feel totally duped when he realizes it's just a big game. It all started about a week ago as his class was getting ready for St. Patrick's Day. The kids made leprechaun traps and Brody really thinks he is going to catch a leprechaun with his. Don't worry, he' s been telling me for days, "I don't really want to keep his gold mom, I'll even let him take my gold. I just really want those wishes!"

Now, this is all teacher/school induced. I have never done or said anything about SPDay to my kids. I don't know about all of this leprechaun trap stuff. When I was a kid, St. Patty's day was only about trying to remember to wear green so you didn't get pinched. It started and ended there. Not these days. This is a bigger scam than Santa Claus.

Yesterday Brody came home from school all hyped up because a leprechaun had broken into their school and messed up their classroom! He was totally psyched to get his trap to school today, certain that little green guy wouldn't be able to resist our homemade-dollar store decorated trap, all set with sticky fly paper. Although a leprechaun did come to their classroom again, his trap did not catch that tricky man. Brody wasn't bummed though. You won't believe what the leprechaun left him. Regardless of his earlier denials of wanting gold, the leprechaun left him just that. A huge, gold (paint) nugget (rock). He even bit it to prove to me it was real-lest I question.

"Mom," he asked, "How much is gold worth?"
I answered distractedly while doing the laundry, "Um, I think it's going for about $150 an ounce."

"Wow." I hear him utter reverently. "I. Am. Rich." He even offered to purchase my groceries at Safeway later on, laying his rock up on the conveyer belt saying, "I'll get this, mom."

In other news. Feeling that I was a lame-o mom for not buying into this whole leprechaun stuff, when Brody asked if a leprechaun came to our house I answered, "of course." Then quickly racked my brain to think of some way to convince them. Hmm, green food coloring...in the...toilet! Perfect. The little guy came, messed the house, peed in our toilet, and disappeared into the sunset. Of course the kids bought it lock, stock, and barrel. A little too much maybe. They told the first 3 people we passed in Safeway a leprechaun peed in our toilet and if there are just some words you shouldn't utter in public to pure strangers, 'peed' and 'toilet' are definitely on the list.

P.S. It worked a little too well. Apparently, Kelsi feels she does not want to plant her sweet little cheeks on the toilet seat after the leprechaun and after doing the potty dance around our house for a good :10min finally went upstairs to go. What have I done?

7 comments:

Ali said...

I love that Brody was going to buy your groceries. Ashlyn has completely bought into it as well.

Brandon and Becca said...

That is awesome! Maybe if a leprechaun peed in our toilet Kyle would try it out too.

Whitney Seaberg said...

Haven't read your blog in a couple days, so playing catch up. Those are all awesome! This is too funny and im a little worried when he finds out what he will say! Waiting for that blog post! :) Love the posts and pics!

Becky said...

How sweet that Brody wanted to pay for groceries!!! I think that's so awesome. I put gold chocolate coins in Mason's cold lunch. Told him the leprechaun made his lunch for school. Sheer delight when I picked him up from school.

Kelly said...

Okay the guilt is dwindling, everyone else's kids believe too! Kelsi still wouldn't go anywhere in the house alone this morning, she still is freaked over the leprechaun.

Denys said...

lol!

Kendra said...

Oh Kel, your kids CRACK ME UP! They are just so cute, and Brody is such a sweet boy! I'm with you, SPD was never a huge thing to me but a leprachaun left green footprints all over the bathroom at the kids' school and left gold chocolate coins on the desks in Kamrin's room. She kept the wrappers and brought them home and Savannah was so jealous.